It’s finally here! My long-awaited Fall and Winter Capsule post. Ironically, I have edited this down even further since I have created this (extremely time-consuming to make) collage above, but I will talk about that in further detail below. For now, onward!
First things I must mention, it’s imperative if you’re in any way thinking of creating a capsule wardrobe to severely edit your closet first. After doing that, take a closer look at the things you’ve kept, and ask yourself why you’re keeping them. Also, decide season per season your goal; is it warmth? Comfort? Style? Are you going for vintage, Dita Von Teese inspired aesthetic? Whatever it is, write it down, and soldier on.
After the bags are mailed into Tradesy or Goodwill, you shop; this is the best part! Fill in the gaps in your wardrobe. Many people use this as an opportunity to color coordinate their capsules. For example, many Instagrammers make a color coordinated wardrobe by season. For me, I get too bored if I am only wearing one color. For now, as this is my first official capsule, I decided I would keep what I like, and add some classics in (white t, plain sneakers, etc) that I was missing.
Also, a trench coat is not a necessity just sayin’. Unless you live in Seattle or London where it rains constantly, don’t think this is a “wardrobe staple”. I have one, and I barely wear it, except for special occasions when I need something dressier than a basic winter coat.
(I chose to combine my Fall and Winter capsules, as I live in New England, and the seasons tend to be pretty similar, temperature-wise, but you can separate them, depending on your location’s climate, and the amount of items you have!)
Now, onto the capsule!
- Sorel Winter Boots
- Frye Engineer Boots in Black
- Black Skinny Jeans
- Everlane high-waisted skinny jeans
- leather skirt
- gray v-neck casual dress
- sheer patterned top
- black cashmere v-neck sweater
- Adidas Advantage sneakers
- Chloe Lauren Flat in nude* (sold on Poshmark; half a size too big!)
- Black leather biker jacket
- classic white t-shirt
- L.L. Bean flannel-lined corduroy button-up
- Everlane navy and white striped casual dress* (switched to summer capsule)
- J. Crew gray blazer
- ALO yoga gray long-sleeve top
- Stuart Weitzman black suede Lowland boots
- American Apparel disco pants
- denim jacket
- camel coat
- BB Dakota navy trench coat*
- Eddie Bauer black puffy down vest
- Frye Jackie Button leather boots
- Altar’d state blue tunic top
- black and white striped long sleeve top
- gray short sleeve t shirt
- Zella black high-waisted “live in” leggings
- Free People orange burnout t-shirt
- black crew neck t -shirt
- Madewell plaid button-up flannel
- J.Crew high-low button up silk shirt
- Aran Islands Irish wool fisherman’s sweater
- Eddie Bauer down jacket* (swapped for warmer)
- Burton camouflage snowboard jacket*
- white jeans*
- Burton long knit button-up sweater*
- black and white short sleeve striped t-shirt
- Kate Spade “Eat Cake for Breakfast” tote
- Dooney & Bourke vintage leather purse
- Waterfall cardigan
- J. Crew crewneck long sleeve blue top
- Cloth & Stone leopard chambray top
- Blue cashmere sweater
- Nine West patent leather slides*(recently added and not shown)
- black cashmere cardigan
- Coach black leather vintage classic purse
- Kut From the Kloth medium wash boyfriend jeans
- J.Crew city jeans in medium wash
- J.Crew Minnie pants in black
- J. Crew dressy pants
- Frye Harness boots
- Frye Sabrina boots
(* indicates this item was removed from the capsule)
This is my Fall/Winter capsule, and as you can see by my notes, it’s an ongoing project! In addition to these items, I have silver hoop earrings, a thin gold bracelet and necklace, and small pearl earrings I regularly accessorize with. I think while creating capsules in the future, I will choose more versatile pieces, not like the waterfall cardigan or Burton knit sweater, so I can wear them again and again. Some items, like my Chloe flats or Burton ski coat, were removed because I got the sizing wrong when I ordered them, so I sold them. Other items, like the white jeans, were removed because I just didn’t wear them.
Items I would add to my Spring/Summer capsule:
- a new plain bikini, as I only have patterned or old ones.
- a classic white, v-neck t-shirt, as I only have a white crewneck cropped one.
- “grown up shorts”, i.e. not short-shorts- I have limited shorts options.
- a smaller pair of boyfriend jeans, my KFTK jeans are now too big!
- a v-neck black t-shirt, as I only have a crewneck one.
- more casual dresses; I was surprised at how much I wore the ones above!
- black loafers
Here are the most worn items from my Fall/Winter Capsule:
- Stuart Weitzman Lowland boots
- Zella high-waisted “live-in” leggings
- Altar’d State blue tunic
- Frye harness boots
- Kut From the Kloth boyfriend jeans
- black and white striped long-sleeve top
- Adidas sneakers
- L.L. Bean corduroy top
- Sorel boots
- Frye engineer boots
- Black v-neck cashmere sweater
There you have it!
In addition to these items, I have my long silk pajamas, short silk nightgown, and favorite Nick & Nora rose flannel pajamas. I have NOLI, Zella, Athleta and Burton leggings. My Zella leggings are my favorite, as noted, but since I wear them so much for my everyday wardrobe, I don’t want to use them in my athletic wardrobe, too. As I have been working out a lot, my body composition has changed enough where I need to purchase new athletic gear. Also, I work out a lot, so things get worn out pretty quickly! As noted in my Capsule Wardrobe post, though, these items aren’t included in the capsule wardrobe considerations list, nor are underwear or socks, although I update those, too, when adding to my capsule!
If you have questions on building a capsule wardrobe of your own, or updating your style profile, let me know.
What’s in your Fall or Winter Capsule?
(note: some of these items are no longer available, so I have linked to the item on Ebay or Poshmark, or to a similar item)